Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April 1 2008 The beginning

The reason for the journey , is sometimes lost in the preparation , but I finally hit the ground running and here I am . Proud owner of a thirty year old rv , a minimal bank account and a burning desire to hit the bricks and just go somewhere to see America.
As I screech to a halt and take stock of the situation , time to list and organise my wants and needs : they don't balance out any better than my check book . Let's try Again ;
Wants : I want to leave Now.
I want to take all my comforts .
I want to stay gone forever
I want to travel 300 to 400 miles a day .
I want to make the Azad totally green withs solar and wind turbines
I want all LED lighting inside.
I want a big refrigerator /freezer
I want a complete set of tools to take care of Azad
That's the short list , now reality sets in and here's what I need and have;
{1} I can't leave immediatly due to a number of commitments ( Dr. bills to pay , social security appointments , fix up Azad , organize and plan better)
Solution : STOP : Set target date for departure ; early j June to Middle of July . This leaves two months to get squared away and look for the Gremlins that will trip Me somewhere near Left Overshoe , Texas with nothing for company but cotton fields and sage brush .I don't have a job nor appointments once I leave.
{2}I can' take all my comforts , Solution Here's the short list of what I actually have space for ; food water/coffee etc. , utensils for cooking . Formerly I was a Chef and grew up on a farm making do with what we had , plus have a large collection of stuff so no need to buy a bunch of stuff, sort through it get the essntials sell/ give the rest away. Need clothes , again sort through and divest myself of excess , laptop/ dual purpose doubles as entertainment center , emergency cell phone . Personal crap like medicines ,soap towels etc.
{3}Possible to stay gone , but not practical . Solution aim for Two to Three months on first attempt . After multiple motorcycle trips I found you have to go somewhere just to regroup and get all the legal and physical kinks worked out. Pus I'm taking a lot more cargo with Azad than I did with the bike.
{4} 300 to 400 ! What for?
{5&6}Totally Green ! Good Idea , how do I pay for it? Baby steps solar battery charger first with one good house battery , get a couple of LED lights maybe Portables and some rechargable batteries .
{7}I don't need a big refrigerator freezer, they are too expensive and I don't require that much storage . Azad already has a small one and I have several Ice chest and Thermos bottles from my last business , I have to get used to living in smaller quarters just as I did when I lived on a boat.
{8} Tools , get the basics and multi function . Much as I would like to be able to rebuild everything , I'm too beat up to do the heavy stuff and chances are if the repair required is that catastrophic I couldn't pack enough tools anyway.

No comments: