Saturday, November 15, 2008

Vapours / A Language Barrier

After contacting the home front yesterday , I mounted a trip to Douglas partly for supplies for the weekend and partly for the ride . I don't get tired of driving the roads around here , always a new view with a different perspective depending on the time of day . Dipping down off the pass into Douglas , a quick stop at the gas station to fill up and check the air in the tires , and then down to 5th st and the land of big stores . Foregoing the Safeway and a couple of others I trundled into Wally World to find a parking spot within trekking distance to the door! As soon as I stepped through the door the first indication I had that they had released the vapour that day were evident , several women clustered around a display of eerily ornamented paper plates and cups vaguley reminiscint of a scene from Macbeth , except with Christmas overtones , turning sharply away from this disturbing scene and down to the area I hoped would bring relief and a new blanket , I  did a controlled crash into what was considered the Holiday area ! A good 1/4 acre dedicated to ... yes Christmas ! More evidence of whatever vapour the fiends had released on their customers , women drifting slowly about like leaves in the wind with that deer in the headlights look so often seen on heavily over served bar patrons late at night , the men leaning over the shopping carts offering mute supplication to whatever gods there be to deliver them from this torture . I had to flee! . Back to the one place there would be none of this cruel assault on my visual and audial senses , the Automotive department ! Huddled beneath the cans of oil and STP I caught my breath with the sweet scent of floor mats and hydraulic oil . Peeking from this sanctuary I saw that I could make it to the camping dept. without encountering elves or reindeer , [there were enough Rudolphs to power the Space Staion in that store ] , I snagged the little cooking pot I wanted and sped towards home furnishings to grab the spare blanket I wanted . Steady Jim , Steady , almost done , a dash across to the food section , grab some Gatorade , a couple packs of hot dogs , a loaf of fresh bread , some apples and down through the gauntlet that passes for a check out line ! A stroke of luck and I caught the prettiest little cashier in the place , with a smile and and quiet Hola Senor she rapidly got me out of there !
I was at my parking spot when I heard the voice drifting across to me on the wind , a woman on a cell phone two rows over , obviously wound up about something , whatever , I loaded up and was walking arund the cab and had nearly gotten inside when a nice looking truck pulled in beside me . Not new just nice looking and well taken care of , turning in my seat the cell phone harriden was just launching her cart across the row and still screeching getting into her SUV , the cart of course took dead aim on my row and with nothing to impede it was drawing a bead on the unsuspecting truck next to me ! I heaved myself back out and caught the cart prior to any damage being done . Standing there I felt a hand on my arm , I turned  to see a well dressed Latin man and smiling and saying Gracias Senor , he then unleashed an invective towards the cell phone woman's genral vicinity and I can assure you that even with my faulty and limited command of Spanish it was colorful ! I told him as best I could I just was trying to stop the cart from hitting the truck and he replied " Si , Yo entiende , con permiso Senor , and he held the door for me while I crawled back into "A" , Buenos Dias Senor , Adios . I fired up the Dodge and was backing out , I looked at the plates on the truck SONORA old Mexico ! A language barrier ? Don't think so .. The vapours went away .....

No comments: