Saturday, November 1, 2008

The Mercantile / A large Phone Booth

My travels yesterdy took me to Animas again , I needed to investigate the store I saw before called The Animas Mercantile .It's an easy trip across the basin and up over the pass , a slight rise of 700 to 1000 feet involved , with a gently rising road and open curves with good visibility . The store itself is in a large metal building and while I expected some building materials and whatnot , I found a complete hardware store with just about anything you need to make stuff work ! In true mercantile tradition they also had a rack of goodies such as candy bars snacks etc . I asked the lady if they had a problem keeping the treats fresh and she said  "just watch " , I was there while 5 or 6 customers went through and every one of them grabbed something , no problem with freshness ! In the course of our conversation she informed me most of the guys drive 30 to 40 miles just to get there , needless to say they need a snack to get them home . I found an extension cord , a pair of ranch gloves and some fly strips and traps , before I contained myself and quit making up projects that I probably would never do ! Bob later told me the local ranchers own the place , so what you see is pretty much what you need .
A quick trip around the corner to the little store and gas station for a cold drink and a popsicle . What ? You didn't think I was going to go without my popsicles did you ? The store was full as Humberto's bus was there a legal importer of Mexican labor , these guys ride that old school bus 120 miles each day for work around here on the ranches , Friday is payday and they stop to get their cold drinks and snacks to get them home , usually they go from work directly to the border and that's it , whatever it takes to make a living .
The other reason for going to the store was I can get a great cell phone signal there , sort of like a very large phone booth ! The view from the parking lot streches for miles in every direction , so well worth the trip if I just sit in the parking lot and have a popsicle ! The ride back was once again a slow easy drift down to the basin , 15 miles pretty much coasting and didn't see one car !
the pictures are from just sitting around my campsite trying to learn the camera better , taken from about 5 in the afternoon till just after sunset , they show the light on the mountains as evening comes on us . The one of the bird on the ground is a Glover's quail , can't get over the size of them . Remember ,to see the pictures full size , just click on them ,I shrunk them as much as possible to get them all in .


No comments: