Saturday, July 4, 2009

Listening / Cooking for Friends / Night Thoughts

Late at night in New Mexico , a long way from what I used to call home . Annie Lennox on the Jango station ,shifting to Joanie Mitchell . Whats next ? Sitting on the front porch of the office with the family
[ Farthings and Ahles ] talking smart , shooting off fire works with their grandson , talking business , talking about kids , talking about the way we have lived . Oh Hell ! Here comes Robert Cray , Ice Cold Stratocaster , deep bass with Shemikiah Copeland talking about how they pity the fool , a little Keb Moe , with his killer acoustic bringing memories of stages and benefits , sitting with musicians long gone , burning the air with hot licks and round table discussions of everything under the sun. Sun coming up outside the Driftwood , Baby by my side , her husband all pisssed off because we played music all night
little brother and I laughing our asses off because , all we did was make music ! Brown whiskey , Nassau Hammers , Miller Lite , Budweiser and lots of crazy people combining to make for stories no one even believes ! Playing for $35 a night and a bar tab , playing so hard I fell off the stage into the bushes , damn Turk was always getting me into the shit ! OKey Dokey bringing the whole stage down !
Ronnie so pissed he couldn't see , then his girl friend beating him up with a flash light !! His other girl friend showing up and struttting her stuff and getting naked on stage ! Mikey stomping the bass pedals , showing mr the changes . How many times can you play La Bamba or Gloria in one night ? Could you ever say NO to Billy Lee ? Sweet Jesus how I love these people !
Fast forward to New Mexico , a distant reality with old music , Martin Denny playing "Harlem Nocturne" did I get Mike to play Desifinada the last time I was there ? I don't remember , probably  .I ask him every time , the same as Freddie , I love to here  him doing Elvin Bishop "Stealin Watermelons " I do miss my friends  .
My acoustic across my lap , same old strings , bend them a little harder , reach out , you've been worse than this , send them a message , Billy had it right , it's all about the music .

Stay tuned ....

No comments: