Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Random Thoughts and Crashing About the Desert

Just some random thoughts and ideas today . A trip to Lordsburg yesterday to get a dose of civilization and go to a rock shop resulted in an unplanned stop at Road Forks on the flyover leading back to Rodeo . The van which is known to be tempermental decided to pause and using all my desert Zen , I used the time to get a few shots across the valley looking towards Cotton city . While it was hot , there was a nice breeze , so settled in and thought about some ideas that have been scurrying around my brain . Taxes on alcohol and tobacco are astronomical , supposedly this is for our own good . If the powers that be can get everyone to stop smoking / using tobacco and drinking that devils brew alcohol we will be infinitely healthier and all is right with the world . However the taxes on these items are used for education , etc . If we all quit , then where does the money come from to pay for al these etceteras ? I see Colorado has opened their laws to more gambling ! There you go ! I remember when the state lotteries were all the rage and how they were going to alleviate the burdens of paying for education and the etceteras , let's see how that's working out . Hmmmm , Nearly all the higher [?] learning institutions have raised their tuition to the point of getting a degree is only possible by going into debt for the next twenty years or so , hmmmm , they do have championship sports teams , coached by a staff that has a budget that could run an aircraft carrier , and they still manage to host some interesting speakers [ mostly ex-politicians ] at hundreds of thousands of dollars a pop . Yep , gambling should do it !
A good friend of mine recently won a contest for one of his recipes and gets to appear on TV , that's a good thought . He's worked like a dog all his life , now has his own restaurant and is living his dream , good for him and his family !
Looks like the Global warming is really hitting us hard also , with several states reporting the coolest summer temperatures ever recorded ! Not saying we shouldn't take care of the planet , But let's not pull a chicken little and start passing all these bills to make more rules for our own good ! By the by Gore's state is one of those reporting , you know , the one where he got strip mining going again ! More political dipsticks hungering for a stage to promote their [$] agenda . Meanwhile in places like Terlingua and spots in New Mexico and a lot of other places  there are dozens of people quietly turning to alternate energy sources and recycling making do without a tax break one . Eventually somebody will get the attention of the  foggy bottom dwellers and show them what can be done without all the extemporaneous legislation that is being promoted .
AHha the van has decided breaks over and back on the road , coming of of Granite Gap the view of this valley never fails to grab at me . The other day as I was crashing about the desert taking pictures of some property for a friend , I realized how great it is to still be able to find a spot that is smog and noise free !

Driving over a road that has been layed out in a seemingly random manner , not maintained by anyone other than the folks who live out here , I find that it's not as bad as you might think. Rough ? Yes , but still drivable and with a little effort to move some rocks into the washes and build up a berm  , it would be as functional as needed . Amazingly enough there are some very nice homes way out here , some are manufactured [modular ] and some are traditional adobe , a scattering of mobile homes and even an RV or two with either a shed or roof built over them to afford some shade . The main thing is still the water , it's there if you can afford a well , down about 150 feet and is as good as any I've ever had . I realize it's not for everyone though , the solitude and quiet are the plus side . The drive for major supplies such as groceries and everyday neccesities just drives some folks crazy . While I don't miss TV , movie rentals , fast food chains , traffic , and all the other things that go with urban society , some need these to keep their little motors running . Almost daily I make discoveries  about my lifestyle I can change . I don't buy near as much food as I used to when I do go to a store , my closet has clothes I haven't used in months . My personal entertainment has shifted more to outdoor activities , and a night sitting out under the stars listening to the desert has become my TV . I can't say it's for everyone , just works for me , I still love to read and the internet keeeps me up to date with friends and family . I wouldn't like to sacrifice that , but I seem to remember getting along without it not so long ago . I wrote a letter a few days ago , actually took a pen and wrote a letter . My teachers would shudder at my hand writing but I got it done . It was kind of satisfying too,
hadn't written in so long I had to actually concentrate on what I was doing ! May have to get back in the habit and write someone once in awhile .
Time to start the days entertainment , laundry first then it's back out in the desert to explore another road .
Stay tuned ....

HEY !!! Don't forget to become a follower ! Just click on the widget thingy on the side of the Blog , let me know who's out there !!

No comments: