Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Gone to Texas \ Reality sets in

At last  I hit the bricks , left Lake City for Talla hassee on the 5th of Sept. A stop to see my friend Jon for a great meal and restow some stuff in "A" , a great evening with good friends and lots of conversation about airplanes , motorcycles , and politics . After we solved the problems of the world and a good nights rest , I managed a late start about the crack of noon !
  On the highway to Quincy and the first Flying J , fuel and pit stop and it's off to see the wizard , down route 90 till the log trucks made me crazy and then up on I-10 . Nice ride all the way Pensacola and as it turned out an unnecassary fuel stop [ I found fuel all the way across / no shortages from the storms ] onward to Gulfport MS.
I made a rest / food stop at another Flying J and checked in to the home front to let everyone know I was OK and the trip was going well . Seems there was a little apprehension about a crippled up old chef and a thrty year old motorhome blasting across the southern U.S.with little or no plan at all. Needless to say all involved were relieved I hadn't met with disaster.
  I left Gulfport at sundown after thinking about driving in the heat of the day and the all too real nightmare of hittin Houston on a Monday morning with all the craziness tha implies , I drove onward to Orange Texas and stopped for a power nap and a bite to eat , left at dawn thrty and had a magnificent ride all the way down to Corpus Christi . Between Gulfport and Orange is the unpleasnt experience of driving across Louisiana , if at all possible AVOID IT !! Dirt roads on the backwoods of ANY state in the union are superior to the interstate across Louisiana , it has been that way for a long time and shows no sign of improvement . AVOID IT ! nuff said .
  Arrival in Corpus was made after a drive through some of the prettiest country in Texas , route 59 out of Houston down through Victoria and points south is just an easy drive and is a pleasure to look at the south Texas countryside .
My friends were at the local water hole called the "Blackwawk"  and I was able to surprise them with my early arrival , after the obligatory round of "good to see you " and an ice cold Lone Star , it was time to retire and  find a spot for "A" and a good nights rest . Monday was a sort of preparation day for the upcoming party on Sat. and a ride around to say howdy to some more friends . Things are starting to come together for the upcoming big event , and of course the possible approach of "IKE" , onward to a new adventure , stay tuned    

No comments: