Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Terlingua and Alpine


Pressed on from Kerrville to Fort Stockton , my friends stayed to grab some rest and not spying any rv parks that looked interesting , I wandered on down to Alpine , the highway from Fort Stockton to Alpine is a beautiful ride of just sixty miles or so . If I had my bike with me I could ride it over and over again , lots of wild life and many of the desert flowers are still in bloom from the recent rains . I found a nifty little rv park just outside of Alpine called Danny Boy with a small convenience store in front , $18 a night with full hookup , quiet and right at the foot of the mountains , very quiet place , mostly working folks and close to the downtown area . Had a quiet Saturday night and just fixed something to eat from my stores in the camper , Sunday my friends showed up and after a little exploration we decided on lunch at the Riata restaurant . If you are ever in this part of the world DO NOT MISS THIS RESTAURANT ! I have to tell you it was one of the top five meals I've ever had any where , those of you who know me will testify that rating doesn't come easy with me . The service was superb , the food was beyond excellent and the price ? You would spend twice as much at one of the local eateries in Fl. or some big city , and they really put it on you too ! I am known as a very healthy eater and it just about stopped me , Fresh greens salad Iced herbal tea and a Chili Relleno with beans and rice and coffee after wards less than $15
I was astounded at the portions and this is lunch mind you , the small salad complete with seasoned pecans and Texas Goat cheese was served in what I would call a pasta bowl topped with julienne apples and their house dressing was $6 , Gary and Linda's meal was equally impressive , a simple lunch turned into a pleasant two hour event that I won't soon forget .
My friends drove to Terlingua Sunday afternoon and I did the only honorable thing , I took a nap . After regrouping later in the day , about 7:00 or so I wandered across the street to the Buffalo Rose Saloon and restaurant , It didn't appear like much, but inside I had a great steak, met some out of sight people and even wandered out back to shoot the breeze with , yes , Real Cowboys they had ridden up to the back where there is shade and the bartender opens the back door and they hang out back and down a few while their cow dogs and horses relax at the hitching rail . Talk about culture shock !
Monday was up early and tried to connect with the real estate people but they were busy or hunting or something so drifted on towards Terlingua on Texas 118 . If my buddy JB in Tallahassee sees this road he will move here ,
It is a motorcycle road straight from the gods of speed , so incredibly beautiful driving through the hills and mountains with long sweeping turns , I drifted along at 45 or so and the 80 mile trip just slid away .
Arriving in Study Butte I had missed G&L so drove the couple of mile to Terlingua and met them at Kathy's Kosmic Kowgirl Kafe , settled in with a glass of ice tea and a brisket sandwich [really good ] I almost felt like I was home , you don't stay a stranger here very long . Sitting in the shade with a breeze blowing about 74 degrees kind of like it used to be in the Keys a long time ago , we did a little exploring in the afternoon and I got a spot at the Big Bend Motor Lodge and RV park for a week $20 a night and water and electric included . Dinner and sunset was celebrated on the roof of the Sierra Vista restaurant with Lone Stars and great food , again more really nice people , I could get used to this !

Here are a couple of pics with more to follow ,

No comments: