Friday, October 31, 2008

Geronimo / Douglas Arizona

Yesterday I decided on a trip to Douglas , Arizona . Had to scratch that itch  to move a bit , down highway 80 , a few miles and enter AZ , afew miles further and I spy an historical marker sign , almost passed when I see Geronimo Surrenders , I'll catch this on the way back ! Down the highway the road streches for miles ahead of me with long slow curves and a steady rise towards the mountains , up across the pass and down to Douglas a nice little border town with some very cool stores and a real grocery store and even a Walmart ! Shopping done I headed back to Rodeo by way of getting turned around on  something called the PanAmerican Highway and spent a delighful hour getting turned around on the goat track that passes for a frontage road between Mexico and the U.S. The border guards didn't laugh too loudly and were actually pretty cool . NOTE :a PASSPORT is a good idea when dicking around in this part of the country ! Back on the highway I decided to fuel up , the only time you have too much fuel in the desert is when you are on fire ! Sipping on a fresh cup of coffee and tooling down the highway I see a sign that says Bisbee 22 miles , Oh shit ! Daydreaming again ! Turn around head back the other way soon a sign that says Lordsburg 74 miles , that's better , at least it's the direction I need . Back over the pass and soon here's the sign . I pull over and sure enough , here is where Geronimo surrendered  , it's hard to imagine what it must have been like back then , ther ain't shit here now ! Wild country to be sure , the explanation lays to the other side of the road , the road bed of the Southern Pacific RR is still visible running straight as an arrow from Douglas to El Paso . Yes sir arrest those red devils , stick them on a train to Florida ! The actual surrender was in Skeleton canyon across the way , and I did drive back up in for a ways , it IS NOT where you want to take a motor home , but interesting all the same . From what I see now there is plenty of room for everybody here now , but those pesky fences and mines do make it hard to live off the land . At any rate I snapped a few pictures and then returned to Rusty's and made a dinner of pork and sauerkraut a southwestern specialty I have mastered, today I believe a trip to either Portal or over to the Animas Mercantile is in order ....

 

No comments: