Monday, October 19, 2009

Best laid plans , ETC > ETC >

Just when you think you've got it all figured out , old mother nature comes along and changes the rules! I've written before about desert storms and how they rage in and down from the mountains . Yesterday a trip was mounted to go up past the research station and sit to recharge and reflect . All went well and a slow ride across the valley to Animas , get a little fuel for the truck and pick up some tortillas was completed with only a smattering of rain showers and a brief relief giving coolness that was all welcome . An afternoon chat session on the front porch of the office and return to a pot of black beans and rice that I had simmering all day were all i looked forward to . Things started to change after about 7:00 o'clock , I was watching a thunderstorm up on the peaks , not really paying too much attention when the wind started to pick up . This is never a good sign with thunderstorms , but they were quite a ways off so I didn't get overly excited . As the lightning started crashing closer andcloser , thunder rocked the valley like a batallion of howitzers . Deeming it time to shut the place up , I reached for the door and had barely got it closed and it was GONE , skewing across the desert like meth addled frisbee , decision time ! I finished closing windows moving stuff that wasn't already swirling around insude the trailer , capturing pieces of the detrius of my belongings that were awash on the floor . Making  a dive for the laptop and accessories , grabbing the guitar , trying to stow them somewhere that wasn't wet or becoming wet . It was raining so hard I could barely make out the edge of the deck and what I could see was tool boxes and chairs , and cooking equipment slowly skidding towards the driveway . I figure it must have blown like that for a good thirty minutes , rain screaming down , battering it's way into every little nookand cranny . Not the gentle hiss you associate with a nice rain , but a screech like fingernails on a blackboard . No fatalities other than the door , which I'm going to go piece together now . Mother Nature doesn't take shit from anybody ! Kind of a reminder hoe fragile our existence is , I believe I'll add some reinforcement to the door .
Stay tuned ..... 

No comments: