Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Cost of Freedom / Moving Around / Harvesting Happiness

Memorial day is always a tough one for me , Veterans day , not too bad , all the other holidays , whatever works . For some reason Memorial day always brings home the cost of freedom so many people have paid and did so with pride and dedication . I look about and see the way the media and corporate America have cheapened and degraded this occasion , and it gets me all balled up and ready to blow my top ! I seriously doubt that the long line of warriors , teachers and families of these Heroes think they need a special sale or some talking head on the tube to remember their sacrifice . Memorial services are all well and good , leave them to the folks who really matter , those who paid the price . I now have a number of friends whose children are serving in Iraq / Afghanistan , the sacrifice continues . For those young Heroes and their families I offer thanks and a prayer to what I believe in . Every year I offer the same toast , and to all who read this , I invite you to join me :
" To those who have gone before us " it covers all of my fallen comrades and shipmates , friends , acquaintenences and families thereof . For those of us still kicking around "may you find peace " . Enough said
  Moving around , had a conversation with my sister about moving around the other day . I don't have a problem about packing a bag , getting in or on whatever conveyance and getting in the wind to see whats over the hill or the next corner . The desire or need to keep moving around is as much a part of my life as anything else I can think of . I reckon it comes from the fact I never got too involved in gathering possessions , for me it's the friends and the people I meet and the places I go to . I can always get more stuff ! Then again I don't care for the disposable society that has evolved . I like quality and things that stay with you or as Guy Clark says "stuff that works , stuff that don't wear out " perhaps the most important line from that song " I got a good friend that's seen me at my worst " and they are still there . On that I don't feel the need to mention any names , you know who you are .
  Big plan for today , we are going to harvest the tops of Yucca plants ! Reason , so the center dries out and I can make walking sticks . It's not a big deal , but something Bob and I can do together and stay out of everyone's way , plus it sounds good on paper . This could be interesting ! The point is I'm doing something that makes me happy . Yesterday I sat in front of the Valley Mercantile with a few of the ranchers and watched a thunderstorm march across the valley over to Animas , just being with them talking about the weather and the beauty of this awesome sight harvested some happiness , last evening I took a ride to Portal turned around and did a slow drive back down into the valley just before sunset . The sun just dropping to the tops of the mountains scattered across the valley floor and splashed on the mountainsides across the valley like a cresting wave of gold . Shadows , colors and scents were running wild for several minutes , revealing secrets , telling new stories about the landscape , a whole new perspective about where I live . Harvested a little happiness . Darkness creeping in back at the ranch a rolling , tumbling bank of purple and cobalt blue with tiny specks of light peeking out , the desert breeze off the mountains freshening to a soft sigh , gentle as a newborn breath . Harvested some happiness. Woke up this morning , sun peeking over the Peloncillo's , blue sky and white puffy clouds . I'm Alive , and I'm not in pain . Harvested a little happiness .
Stay tuned .....

No comments: