Friday, May 15, 2009

Finishing projects / Enjoying the Deck / Desert Survival

The last couple of days have been spent trying to finish all the little projects i've had laying about cluttering up my life . Hot water leak fixed , sewer line raised and drained , door sill reattached , window seals cleaned and lubed  air conditioner filters cleaned , latch on the bathroom door fixed , cleaned the inside of the van , made new station on Jango [ easy listening with Julie London , Tony Bennett , Martin Denny , John Coltrane and Billie Holliday aloong others ] cleaned inside of the traler after the mess I made fixing the other stuff. So you can see I haven't been a complete sluggard ! Today an attempt will be made on the laundry and a trip to the Mercantile to get re-bar and 2x4s [more projects !] . Expect to finish trimming out the deck this evening , figured to wait as my neighbors work nights . They are from some govmnt agency , out tagging bats , so even though I don't see the point in tagging bats , at least they have a job and if they can catch and tag a bat , I can refrain from hamering at 8 o'clock in the morning . Hell , I'd rather sit on the deck and look at the mountains anyway !
Speaking of the deck I attempted a self portrait of me enjoying the sunset out on the deck . What do you think ? Am I having a good time or what ! About 5 o'clock the evening breeze is just right for relaxing , and enjoying the view around here . I can sit facing any direction and see the vistas , I can do a 360 degree if I sit at one  end or another .
 
Sometimes I wonder how I got here ?
Then again , why did it take me so long to find this place?
 
 
Reminds me of the song "Don't fence me in "

 
You get to see the sunset twice !
Looking at the pictures reminds me to share with those of you that haven't traveled out west or in the desert a few survival actions that may save you a lot of grief :
A full gas tank is a happy gas tank.
A small can of gas carried with you is not a bad idea .
A five gallon collapsible container of water is nice to have . For those of you who are weight concious it's less than 30 lbs.
A few tools in a small kit or box
Plenty of drinking water , whether it's bottled or whatever .
Some snacks or dried fruit , something to munch on , it's a long way between towns .
Make sure of the spare tire , road service is pretty ifffy , if at all / or carry some fix a flat or one of those things
A hat with a brim and crown , ball caps don't help much . Why do you think cowboys wear those hats ?
Road service plans are great . If they can find you !
A full gas tank is a happy gas tank ! Yes I know I repeated it ! Twice , since I've been here this time I've had to stop on the way to Douglas to give some gas  to somebody on the side of the road ! Reason , they heard gas is  cheaper down by the border ! It is by a few cents , but you have to get there to enjoy that few cents savings . Add to the problem , there is no cell phone signal down in the valley . Once you get over the pass at either end or travel east 20 or 30 miles you can pick one up , maybe ! Going west is a long trek over the Chiricahuas , about 40 miles then there are still no gas stations and possibly a cell phone signal as you get closer to Wilcox , Arizona .
Sounds simple ? It is most people have the common sense to figure it out , doesn't hurt to remind folks though .
.
                         Just couldn't resist , I'm really having a good time !!
Stay tuned ...
                
                               

No comments: