Wednesday, May 27, 2009

A Different View / Damn Hippies !

A ride around the area yesterday , in pursuit of a cup of coffee and of course the possibilty of meeting some unique people led me to the drift between Arizona and New Mexico . The drift of course is a slight rise of land between the two states on the road to Portal . Going to Portal , the road rises soome 600 ft in elevation and when returning to Rodeo gives a view of an expanse of the valley that will open your eyes . The wide open vista rolls and tumbles for miles in either direction . Looking across the valley the Peloncillo mountains rise and stretch like a jungle cat flexing it's power , small canyons , deep clefts with shadows dancing in the falling light like a crazed Lambada dancer . Greens , browns , tans , yellows , with a scattering of primary colors make a back drop for the many small buildings and structures that from a distance appear toy like to the eye  . Mountain peaks 30 miles off look like a tiny bump in the landscape , closer , the sage , mesquite and cacti , defend the territory of the desert dwellers sharing the available water and nourishment with the cattle and horses . Some would find it stark and empty , then again there a lot of us who look and just don't see! I ride this stretch of highway several times a week and generally stop at one spot or another , and I always see something different . I took a shot , and once again , an inexpensive camera / lack of skill on my part resuts in a photo that certainly doesn't do justice to this area , anyway ....
 
  Kind of takes your breath away !
A stop at the Portal Lodge/ Store for coffee resulted in a conversation with the local artist in residence Robert Wordmire , his drawings and work are found throughout the valley and is famous as Mr.Route 66 . His pen and ink drawings are fabulous and his lifestyle is unique , to put it mildly . The conversation ran as expected on the usual things , I had recently bought one of his drawings to send to my sister and the story of how he did it and the amount of time involved was an awakening to how hard his spirit drives him to create these pieces of art . 
The rest of the afternoon coffee crowd consisted of a couple of cowboys , a stone mason , a bird watcher or two , the owner of the lodge , and myself . The tone of the conversation shifted and twisted to a multitude of topics from the weather  , the Border Patrol , and as with most people who have a little age on them our health and the various maladies that make life interesting . The point of Nationalized health care was bandied about , with most agreeing that it was an absolute must have and soon . I questioned who should pay for all this care and I was surprised that one cowboy proposed the use tax! Anyone that has been paying attention to the news knows that this idea  has been around for quite awhile . The idea of a national tax to pay for anything seemed abhorrent to some , and I was surprised again when Robert came out against the very thought of it . He lives off  the grid , uses very little if any of services for day to day living , when the old story of freedom and being able to do what you want , the subject of the aging / new agers / hippies was set upon . 
My thoughts kind of tumbled a bit as I listened to these free thinkers and maybe it's my age or experience , I held my opinion to myself , after listening to these folks for a while , I was jarred back to reality when I was asked " what do you think? " I replied " I guess I'm glad I wore the uniform so you have the freedom to talk and think as you wish " . I can't say I liked all their ideas and opinions , the bottom line is I [and a whole lot of others ] took the oath and did the service in order for them to have that freedom . No one had a snappy comeback . So it goes . Some folks just don't get it , maybe I've been one of those damn hippies all my life ! 
I think for right now , I'm right where I'm supposed to be , and thankful for what I have .
Stay tuned ....
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         

No comments: