Thursday, April 30, 2009

Fiddlin and piddlin

I had an extremely productive day ! Started out to do nothing and got most of it accomplished ! Actually I got motivated about 9:30 or so and started cleaning out the van and setting up my workbench , I suppose that could be an oxymoron " workbench ?" , none the less , got all the tool boxes out , set up the rock rascal , vise ,and air compressor . Took all the tools out and cleaned and WD40d them , set up the small bench grinder/polisher and tested everything out . Found the rock rascal to need some spacers to be aligned properly so I took a trip over to Animas Mercantile to get some and use the phone booth  to reach out and touch a couple of friends . Had good luck and got to talk to those I had in mind , all for one, and will go over later in the week to catch them .
Cell phone reception is iffy even at the phone booth ,but did get a couple of e-mail addresses I had been lacking .While I avoid TV like the plague , the internet still gives me more news and info than I really want , talking to folks outside the valley just confirms my thinking that I'm extremely fortunate to have found this oasis in the bootheel of New Mexico . I need to make a grocery run sometime soon but other than that I can survive quite nicely without the trials and tribulations associated with more populated areas . If I don't look at the news service for two or three days , when I check back in the same thing greets me , politicians are still jackasses , the celebrities are still ding-dongs doing their asinine posturing , the pundits , experts all , are still flogging the populace with their spoutings of doom and destruction . In other words , not much changes . I don't miss it !
Returning to the ranch , I found the whole crew over at the duck pond observing Bob's handiwork on the new cage for the baby geese .The little fellers need protection for a few weeks to protect them from the owls which reach reach fairly large proportions here . A pleasant hour or two was spent just watching the goslings and seeing how the other ducks reacted to the new cage . After this exhausting experience , we adjourned to the porch and sat in the shade to solve the worlds problems . Don't you feel better ? We got as much done as the UN , and got to eat ice cream bars and popsciles while doing it !
I trundled back to my spot , armed with a new bag of ice , got a big glass of ice tea going and plopped my old body in a chair to contemplate the mountains . Sat and relaxed after my busy day , along about sunset got the camera and took a few shots . Had some kind of crazy bluish gray haze going on , don't know if it was dust , smoke or what . Hell it could be leftover gases wafting about from the Hindenburg , What am I . a meteorologist ?
A couple of pictures ...
Stay tuned ......

No comments: