Saturday, April 25, 2009

Trip to Portal / Sunset and Serious Memories

A trip over to Portal was made to procure an espresso , just can't seem to get that coffee jones off my back !
While I was enjoying the pleasure of a excellent cup of espresso , I happened to meet Mitch , one of the owners of the Portal Lodge and Store . He and his two brothers have owned it for about five years , yesterday he was having the enjoyment of owning his own business by cleaning A/c filters , fixing a broken sewer line , dealing with fussy , unreasonable customers and wondering just what the hell the economy was going to throw at him next !
Ah , to own your own business ! Despite this he's a pleasant guy to talk to and in the course of our conversation I found out they had never had deep fried turkey ! Well now , I happen to be a turkey frying fool ! To make a long story short , I believe some deep fried turkeys are in the offing , besides that , perhaps some show off cooking and giving him some new ideas for his menu ! Might even get in the kitchen to do a little instruction , I guess I'm not as retired as I thought .
Meanwhile , back at the ranch , My propane tank showed up , I turned the corner just as Roger the gas man was finishing . I'm good to go for along time now ! As much as I cook inside I have enough propane to send me to the moon ! Or Lordsburg , whichever comes first !
The afternoon wore on and I decided to cook a turkey breast on the Cobb cooker . Seasoned with some Don's from Lafayette LA. a handful of hickory chips on the coals , tunes on and a cold beverage I settled in to watch the mountains and soak up some  New Mexico sun . Memories washed over me like a high tide on a full moon , places and people visited with the clarity of a piece of Baccarat crystal right off the shelf . It ocoured to me just how fortunate I have been to have experienced all of this and still be here to recall and enjoy it . When the sun dipped below the Chiracahuas I was cruising along with my good friends on roads not often traveled . While the last of the suns rays burned into the few clouds in the sky and the first of the nights display of twinklers appeared , tune after tune took me to a new destination of my life travels . countries , customs , people , and adventures unfolded on the panorama of the evening sky . A lot of good things , some bad , some sadness and some rejoicing , I admit there are more than a few of my old compadres I would like to have here now to see and feel this , however freedom ain't cheap , and some of the roads we travel are rough ones . I'll remember them and move on .
Hope you all enjoy the Jango jukebox , I have several staions I made and generally let them play most of the day . No radio staions here in Rodeo . So that's the majority of my listening , needless to say I wouldn't/won't pay for sat TV , that's one thing I don't miss at all ! I skipped the news yesterday on th internet and will do the same today , in fact since tomorrows Sunday I believe I'll skip tomorrow too ! Try it , it's better than drugs for making you feel better !
Stay tuned ...

No comments: