Saturday, April 11, 2009

surprises and miscaculations

Well, the first surprise is this post is from Rodeo N.M. instead of Midland TX . After getting on the  road at noon at Rusk , the wind was still howling , blowing the rig all over the road . Sensing impending doom , I struggled on towards west Texas with all the zeal I could muster on such a day full of natural disasters surrounding my little cosmoclasm . Wildfires , tornadoes , floods and  drivers obviously just released from some unknown perdition they were sentenced to for wreckless endangerment with a motor vehicle ! There must be a college or some type of higher learning these people attend ? Why would anyone  attempt to drive a car , let alone a 60,000 lb behemoth at 80mph plus in a screaming crosswind of gusts over 30 mph ? Logic defies this action , but until I reached Big Spring TX that is what was going on .
Taking a short break from the crazies on the road , wonder of wonders , the wind layed down ! It was already late , so I decided to press on a way to perhaps avoid the full moon fever that had overtaken  America's highways , by shear miscalculation on my part , I wound up just east of El Paso , drifted into a rest area and took a power nap . At 7:00 am back on the road and blew through El Paso like quaker puffed rice . I can recommend this action to those who must travel through this city , early in the morning is much less painful than any other time of day .
However on the other side it was back head on into the wind ! A  big plus here was a little rain was added into the mix just to entertain our old fiends [SC] the truckers and wide open balls to the wall ding dongs who believe speed limits are merely a suggestion and these cars were made to be driven FAST . I was so relieved to be out of that nightmare , when I turned onto route 80 to head towards Rodeo I nearly succumbed to the emotion. A great reunion with all my friends and extended family at Rusty's followed by a great pot luck meal convinced me to attend to the business of catching up on my rest . In other words I finally folded ! A two day trip , yesterday over 950 miles then the trip across the corridor to Rodeo and I was Toast !
For now I am returning to the bunk and do what I have found I am really good at ! I have that mattress surrounded and I am going to hold it hostage until tomorrow morning !
Stay tuned ... 

No comments: