Monday, October 6, 2008

Big Bend Motor Inn / doing a Sunday

A word about the place I'm staying is in order , the Big Bend Motor Inn is right on highway 118 leading into the park , Terlingua , and Stude Butte . While it sounds spread out the park is about thirty miles down the road and Terlingua is a stones throw away [ghost town is 5 miles] , Stude Butte is about a mile. The Inn itself has nice accomadations and is modern and clean , the rv park located behind the Inn is pretty good size and has both 30 and 50 amp service with full hook ups and a space set aside for tent camping . There are lots of picnic tables and grills , even some shade , with a covered area in a central location . Very close by are a laundry , diner , gas station , riding stables , a small grocery / convenience store , and for the rest of your everyday needs most everything is within a mile or two . 
The folks in charge are extremely nice and are helpful in answering your questions , other than that they leave you alone . Water is good strong pressure but the taste takes a little getting used to , I finally caved and bought some water for pourjims coffee ,What can I say, I'm a coffee snob. 
All in all a nice place to stay and from what I've experienced coming out here their prices are very much in line or maybe a bit cheaper than some places near to large populations.

Yesterday while sitting at the Kowgirl's the full effect of the desert wind was felt , I reckon some of the gusts at 25 plus and steady at 15 or 20 mph , felt good though , temps were in the high 70's and just comfortable to sit and solve the problems of the world . Later as I settled in for my siesta , the old boy 
was rocking a bit but not enough to get in the way of a power nap .
Later I hatted up and went to the High Sierra for a bite to eat , this is the second time I was there and wasn't disappointed this time either . The atmosphere is nice the people friendly and the food is good , had chicken fried steak and after placing my order I could hear the whap , whap , whap of the meat mallet pounding that round steak into submission , the second sound was the unmistakeable sound of ker-chunk as a potato gave it up for my french fries , yes hand cut spuds for fries ! Side of pinto beans and a couple slices of lightly toasted Texas Toast , thick cream gravy and a large sun brewed iced tea .
Sound good ? It was , it was real good and at $ 11 a bargain . I was sur enough full.
On my way back home the big "A" decided to exhibit some of the characteristics of a thirty year old piece of equipment , I believe we have an alternator issue forthcoming , figure on taking care of that today along with some laundry so it looks to be an eventful day ..
 Some pictures of last evening at High Sierra and some storm clouds coming off the Chiso's , the rv is my neighbor with their VW Thing in tow , Revcon and Thing both restored to the max !

 

No comments: