Saturday, October 11, 2008

Silly Saturday / Weather / Lookig at Dirt

Today was Silly Saturday flea market at the Kowgirl's . The attendees dressed appropriatly , silly was in the air !
Must be the approaching full moon , I dutifully showed up , but without the silly outer wear . Didn't find any treasures but was entertained none the less , trundled back to the site to regroup on my plan to drive to La Jitas today . Seems another storm pushing in on Mexico's west coast is set to bring heavy rains in the mountains and with the reservoirs already overflowing more floods are expected on the road from Terlingua to La Jitas , also up towards Presidio . May not happen today , but as a measure of caution decided to wait till next week .
I've made several forays out to look at various pieces of dirt for sale in the area , and while I'm intrigued by the prospect of having a homestead  , the right one hasn't popped up . Land prices vary widely and I've looked at property from $4000 for a 10 acre plot to $79000 for a 15 acre piece with a cover for an RV ,electric hookups , water catchment system and a fairly decent road . there are several small homes available for under $80000 and some nice places in the 10k to 20k range that with a little work would make a nice place to park for a few months and regroup , while getting ready to travel again . I don't feel any pressure anyway and who knows , the prices may come down a bit more if the economy stays down like it is . For now the desert and mountains aren't going anywhere and neither am I.
Earlier this week I received a notice to call my Dr. back at the homefront and in doing so found it may be late Dec. or even Jan. before they can get me an appointment ! Gotta love that VA ! I'm not surprised though , the government in all it's wisdom has given the returning troops from Iraq and Afghanistan five years to get whatever medical attention they need and then ??? Many of my problems didn't surface until I had been out for quite some time after that period of time , I'm thankful for what I have received and expect this will work itself out too. But these young men and women deserve better ! I hope they get it !
I got lazy on the pictures yesterday and here are a couple from the area around the park ...

No comments: