Sunday, October 5, 2008

Lazy day / People watching

Wish I had some earth shaking views to post today , but I had an extraordinarily lazy day yesterday . I believe I've settled into Terlingua time or as we used to say "a bad case of Key's Disease ", laid around , read my book on Texas Ranger Joachim Jackson , made iced tea {made it the thirty or so yards to the store for ice !} , took an extended siesta , woke up in time to watch a couple of new neighbors move in {the boat ramp thing } I know , I'm a sick bastard for taking pleasure in this but , so what ? Later in the afternoon manged to put together a casserole for the Cobb cooker . Used a foil pie pan and used : green beans a can of diced green chilis , a can of sliced mushrooms , some chicken stock made from base , and sliced up smoked pork tenderloin from Moody's . To top it off mixed up some biscut mix and added a couple of spoonsful of powdered buttermilk a little water and shazam ! Biscut dough ! Rolled it out and covered the mixture in the pie pan . I'm not sure what the temp is inside the cooker but I used five briquets of charcoal and timed it with four Lone Stars . Turned out good ! The top was kind of a cross between a biscut{puffy thing } and a steamed dumpling . I may try this again today and add some seasonings to the topping mix to see what comes out .
Watched the sunset and sat at the table outside listening to tunes and later tuned in hulu and watched a show on the Serengeti . Finally caved about 9:30 and didn't rise till just before dawn .
This morning besides the coffee thing been watching folks leave , the older couple next to me had a fifth wheel and the old gent had one of the biggest electric wrenches ever ! He must have been a diesel mechanic before he retired , that thing kicked off and sounded like a 50 cal lighting off ! All that to bring up a couple of leveling jacks , I don't think I could have even lifted that thing , but he swung it around like it was a 1/4 inch drill . They were only here for a day and a half and didn't speak so I guess I won't be getting any post cards from them . My other two neighbors also are fixing to leave , headed for the Big Bend Park . They got in late yesterday and were too tired to make it to the Park plus it isn't a good idea to try and navigate down there in the dark . One couple was from way up north someplace and the other folks were from San Antonio . Both were driving small class "c" much like "A" only newer . Good looking rigs and a lot easier to work with , set up and get gone routine done in about five minutes . The folks from San Antonio had a small trailer in tow and had couple of bikes and spare supplies in it , They said it didn't make much difference in mileage and they had traded off a land yacht to get it so they were satisfied with the performance . They also told me that because of the fuel situation they were traveling shorter distances this year and slowing down their driving , and still planned to cover a lot of miles . Native Texans and still exploring their home state , seems they had done some serious vacation travels and have just now started to explore Texas .
Part of the plan for tady is to head to the High Sierra for lunch and may tool out towards the Ranch to take some pictures or I might find a shady spot and just kick back ..

 
Terlingua sunsets 

No comments: