Monday, October 27, 2008

Short n Sweet

Departed Terlingua at 8:45 , wind was blowing about 30 to 40 mph , I mean it was howling ! I made it through the mountains and to Alpine okay ,hooked onto the road [90] to Marfa , Valentine , and Van Horn . Keerist what a long stretch of Texas ! On top of the wind howling I don't think the temps got up to more than 60 or so , couldn't even roll the window down . I  got to Van Horn a little after noon and took on fuel and some truck stop coffee , then got on I-10 west to try and get the wind at my back . I'd planned on stopping overnite at Van Horn but couldn't see the point , was just too much weather to do anything . Nice ride over to El Paso and it reminded me why I hate cities so much , beside the traffic it's just another city with all the clutter and crap you would expect , after that the ride into NM was uneventful other than the stop at the border patrol station and all the guys came out and admired the big "A" , the old fella is older than most of the agents and they were impressed with my journey and the fact that the old motor home was doing so well . I also have to say that this trip today I passed through two checkpoints and the they were staffed by polite ,civil and respectful young men who did their best not to hold up traffic, just doing their job . Arrived Deming a little after 4 and did a drive through town then got a spot for tonight , it's only 7:30 here but I'm two time zones away from what I'm used to , and a little over 400 miles today . Time to stop and regroup .
One picture today , I looked at this mountain for the better part of three hours today on the way to Van Horn I mean this gives a whole new meaning to the song "miles and miles of Texas !"

No comments: