Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Texas nights/ new friends / response to yesterday

The moon came peeking up over the mountains and was shedding a soft light across the landscape giving it a whole new look as the breeze carried away the last heat of the day . Sitting at the picnic table , once again I'm struck by the enormity of this country . The stars didn't just appear , they burst out in cataclismic show that left me feeling pretty small in the grand scheme of things . If I were better versed in astronomy I could identify some of the sights that were seen last night , however I can't but I did mange to figure out which one was the moon ! I can't wait to see a full moon down here ! 
I had some company also , a young couple stopped to talk and after swapping stories about where we are from and what the plan of the day for today was , I loaned them the use of my laptop to send an e-mail to let their folks know they were ok , seems their cell phone wouldn't work and as they were tent camping didn't think it  was a good idea to bring their laptop with them . Besides talking about the area and what they were going to explore in the park .  I asked them what they thought of the current mess the economy was in . Surpisingly they were pretty much up to speed on what was going on and this little vacation they were on was , ready for this ? What they could afford ! Both of them have full time jobs and go to school part time , their car was paid for and they have a plan to work and save for a while till they can pay for a small rv and then try to travel and find work and stay different places to pick up experience . Thank You Jesus ! I thought I was the only crazy one !They are going to do well in this world , they even stopped by this morning on their walk to the store to see if they could pick anything up for Mr. King ! I was ready to kiss them , smart and most respectful too !
I got a couple of responses to yesterdays ravings and here's the upshot of what I still think . I have friends all over this country , they are working in all kinds of vocations , some work in the oil/ natural gas industry , some are in retail sales , some are jewelers and goldsmiths , some are mostly retired like me . Some are bending nails , preparing food , driving trucks , filling prescriptions the list goes on a long way . The common thread between them is they all work for their money , they are not asking for any Bail Out . They are the ones making this country click along it's path . If you are or were upset by my musings yesterday , I suggest you re-examine your life not theirs or mine , I will not cave to popular opinion and give anyone something they did not work for ! If that upsets you tender sensibilities Tough !
Taking "A "  over today to get his new alternator and then be able to hit a few side roads and get some new pictures to share , I'm considering a trip up to Alpine tomorrow after I see the other property  for sale here . 
Stay tuned ...

No comments: